Cease and desist letters can be a very effective tool to secure your rights without the cost of initiating a lawsuit. It is the first step to prevent a company or individual from performing illegal activity. It often contains language threatening legal action if the illegal activity doesn’t not stop.
When is it proper to send a cease and desist letter?
This is just a list of some of the reasons a cease and desist letter would be sent.
- Breach of Contract Claim such as Non-compete agreements
- Copyright, Trademark, or Patent Infringement
- Defamation claims including libel and slander
- Illegal conduct by debt collectors
- Misappropriation of business secrets
- Nuisance violations